- A gentle word opens an iron gate.
- God promises a safe landing but not a calm passage.
- If you call a single wolf, you invite the pack.
- If you can kiss the mistress, never kiss the maid.
- If you let everyone walk over you, you become a carpet.
- If you wish to drown, do not torture yourself with shallow water.
- When the sea turned into honey, the poor man lost his spoon.
- Even the madman runs away from the drunk.
— Bulgarian proverbs
- If you meet a Bulgarian in the street, beat him. He will know why.
— Russian proverb